Re: RMAN backup strategy on 10g r2 on linux

From: Cristi <cmit37_at_gmail.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2007 09:14:24 -0700

> Also, you may want to have rman backup AND remove your archive logs.
> If you just go out and delete "old" logs outside of rman, the catalog/
> control file will not be "aware" of it. Then you'll end up running
> rman crosschecks and "delete expired". RMAN can take care of that for
> you, and save you the hassle. Of course, you never mentioned if you
> were using the flash recovery area, in which case this becomes moot --
> but there are other issues to worry about (e.g. space pressure). For
> example, keep 1 day of logs that have been backed up:

If I don't use the shell script to delete the old logs and call: DELETE OBSOLETE; before
DISK FORMAT '/oracle_backup/%d_DB_%u_%s_%p.rman'; BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG; will that clear out the previous archivelogs?

RUN {
ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch1 TYPE
DISK FORMAT '/oracle_backup/%d_DB_%u_%s_%p.rman'; DELETE OBSOLETE;
BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;
RELEASE CHANNEL ch1;
}

I am not using the flash recovery area. Received on Thu Mar 22 2007 - 11:14:24 CDT