Re: Archive logs files accumulating on my Oracle log mode Database

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:53:46 +0200

Osso wrote:
>>From what I understand is that an Oracle log mode Database is the
> recommended configuration for a production database. However, the

Not for all production systems... Data ware houses usually are easier rebuilt than restored. Of course, apply common sense and *your* requirements.

> problem we have is that Archive Logs files in the ..\RDBMS\ directory
You can configure that - pfile, or spfile - depending on version.
> are accumulating daily which has implications when you have limited
> disk space.
>
> How should these Archive log files be maintained? ie when should they
> be deleted from the system? is there an automated procedure which will
> remove the log files on a weekly basis?
No - they actually are your lifeline. No auto-delete of a lifeline, please.

> I understand that there are two ways for performing a backup of the
> oracle database,
>
> 1) cold backup (requires the oracle database to be shutdown)
> 2) hot backup

(requires the instance to be up and running)

> Should either of the above backup procedures automatically remove the
> archive log files once backup has been completed?

Time to read up on concepts, and backup and recovery. http://tahiti.oracle.com

And RMAN - nowadays the recommended way to back up oracle.

RMAN can move the archived redo logs from disk to backup medium, whether that is disk or tape, if you like. RMAN will automatically check for corruption; only backup data, not empty files; it *knows* what is required to backup, and restore. In short: RMAN is your friend. Maybe not yet, but will be soon.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...