Archive logs files accumulating on my Oracle log mode Database

From: Osso <james.dunning_at_generaldynamics.uk.com>
Date: 7 Sep 2005 03:50:45 -0700

>From what I understand is that an Oracle log mode Database is the
recommended configuration for a production database. However, the problem we have is that Archive Logs files in the ..\RDBMS\ directory are accumulating daily which has implications when you have limited disk space.

How should these Archive log files be maintained? ie when should they be deleted from the system? is there an automated procedure which will remove the log files on a weekly basis?

I understand that there are two ways for performing a backup of the oracle database,

  1. cold backup (requires the oracle database to be shutdown)
  2. hot backup

Should either of the above backup procedures automatically remove the archive log files once backup has been completed?

Thanks in advance.
James Received on Wed Sep 07 2005 - 05:50:45 CDT