Re: Archive logs files accumulating on my Oracle log mode Database

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:38:39 GMT

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Osso wrote:

[...]

>>How should these Archive log files be maintained? ie when should they
>>be deleted from the system? is there an automated procedure which will
>>remove the log files on a weekly basis?

> No - they actually are your lifeline. No auto-delete of a lifeline,
> please.

[...]

Except when using the Flash Recovery Area in version 10g! :-(

The OP does not mention version or platform, but there are plenty of uses for (and reasons to keep) archived redo log files besides recovering your most recent inconsistent backup. They are well worth the space required -- as Frank pointed out you can have them saved anywhere you want, not only in the RDBMS directory (which in fact is not a very good place to save them). And of course you need to save copies off-server along with your datafile backups.

I suggest you review (or create) your overall disaster recovery plan including hands-on testing, and then manage the archived redo log files within the requirements of your plan.

See also the following if you are on a Unix platform: http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9797/sam0507a/0507a.htm

-Mark Bole Received on Wed Sep 07 2005 - 08:38:39 CDT