Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:16:25 +1000

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes:

> So is partitioning option. But any DBA that doesn't have EE installed
> on a machine at home, or a laptop so that they can study the technology
> is not doing their job. To return to my physician analogy ... you don't
> learn about neurosurgery after the patient is on the gurney.

I think this is quite a valid point. Many years ago, it was difficult to get a platform you could run at home and 'play' with to learn your trade - desktop machines were not up to it and often you couldn't get a version which would run on something an individual could afford.

However, these days, therre is just no excuse - between windows and linux, there is little you cannot run at home on a PC - even so called 'enterprise editions'.

Personally, I just don't understand the resistance some have to learning 'out of hours' - while I argued earlier in this thread that management needs to invest more in the training etc, I still strongly believe that as a professional, you have a responsability to keep 'up to speed' yourself - if for no other reason thatn to make sure you keep your employment options open.

When working as a developer and when working in the DBA area, I always made sure I had an environment at home which was as far as possible a mirror of my work environment - I would use this as a place to learn, experiment and try out new ideas.

Tim

--
Tim Cross