Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 12 Apr 2005 16:37:47 -0700

Tim X wrote:
> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes:
>

> > So is partitioning option. But any DBA that doesn't have EE
installed
> > on a machine at home, or a laptop so that they can study the
technology
> > is not doing their job. To return to my physician analogy ... you
don't
> > learn about neurosurgery after the patient is on the gurney.
>
> I think this is quite a valid point. Many years ago, it was difficult
> to get a platform you could run at home and 'play' with to learn your
> trade - desktop machines were not up to it and often you couldn't get
> a version which would run on something an individual could afford.

How many years are you talking? In the 80's, most of the _serious_ people I knew were buying non-pc platforms. I bought my first PDP in '83. Through the decades, I've seen people buy Vaxen, Sun and so forth, for personal pleasure and/or growth. It seems to be pretty constant at around $3K (or less, for the lucky trash-diggers). Even now, if you include some decent backup on a PC, it will cost near that much - and how many people buy networks and multiple computers these days?

> However, these days, therre is just no excuse - between windows and
> linux, there is little you cannot run at home on a PC - even so
called
> 'enterprise editions'.
>
> Personally, I just don't understand the resistance some have to
> learning 'out of hours' - while I argued earlier in this thread that
> management needs to invest more in the training etc, I still strongly
> believe that as a professional, you have a responsability to keep 'up
> to speed' yourself - if for no other reason thatn to make sure you
> keep your employment options open.

It implies worker abuse. How many developers have you known in a 60-100hr/wk death march - on salary? Companies that don't allow for work-time growth and education, time off, pay for actual hours worked, are rewarded with "increased productivity." And that's with some laws against such abuse! Imagine what an unfettered (read: "slave") market would do. Maybe it's different in your area.

> When working as a developer and when working in the DBA area, I
always
> made sure I had an environment at home which was as far as possible a
> mirror of my work environment - I would use this as a place to learn,
> experiment and try out new ideas.

Gave up on that a long time ago. I figure I've saved $1500/year simply by becoming a cheap curmudgeon and getting cable. I also don't want to compete with high school kids or offshoring. If the database isn't big/concurrent/specialized enough to not work in some kiddiedb, I don't have much interest in it. And if it is that specialized, it probably has some licensing issues that won't allow running at home. (I admit it, I want a cool new computer, parts of my frankenpc date to the '80s).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "What the hell did you have to say that for?
You're in no position to claim 100 percent effectiveness. What's the
announcement of the polio vaccine, April 12, 1955