Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:39:47 +0200

Tim X wrote:
> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes:
>

>>So is partitioning option. But any DBA that doesn't have EE installed
>>on a machine at home, or a laptop so that they can study the technology
>>is not doing their job. To return to my physician analogy ... you don't
>>learn about neurosurgery after the patient is on the gurney.

> I think this is quite a valid point. Many years ago, it was difficult
> to get a platform you could run at home and 'play' with to learn your
> trade - desktop machines were not up to it and often you couldn't get
> a version which would run on something an individual could afford.

Many, many, MANY years, then... I have been running Oracle on laptops (and desktops) for about 10 years...

> However, these days, therre is just no excuse - between windows and
> linux, there is little you cannot run at home on a PC - even so called
> 'enterprise editions'.

Explain the differences in options between Oracle Personal, and Oracle Enterprise editions.
For learning purposes, none.

As for 'footprint' - that's up to you: you may not need to copy all your production system parameter settings.

> Personally, I just don't understand the resistance some have to
> learning 'out of hours' - while I argued earlier in this thread that
> management needs to invest more in the training etc, I still strongly
> believe that as a professional, you have a responsability to keep 'up
> to speed' yourself - if for no other reason thatn to make sure you
> keep your employment options open.

Agree, but I feel there should be some reward in this off-hour study; allow to visit (E)OUG meetings during office hours, all expenses paid. That kind of stuff.

> When working as a developer and when working in the DBA area, I always
> made sure I had an environment at home which was as far as possible a
> mirror of my work environment - I would use this as a place to learn,
> experiment and try out new ideas.

Now, with OAS, that may be over the top for some desktops. :)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel