Re: Space Management w/ LMTs

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Apr 2005 15:35:36 -0700

>My point is, just pre-create the tables >without dependent objects and

>let import create the rest of the objects for you.

I can't let import do anything for me when getting a subset of data, because anything I let it do gets fullsize - including some big indices on what will be much smaller tables. (since I was under time pressure when I did the project where this was a big hassle, I wound up with a multi-pass script - create user with app-specific requirements, precreate [formerly largest n] shrunken tables, imp from special exp with query, table imp from normal exp, imp from another special transformed table exp, imp from a special rows=n exp to get other necessary unused tables, create indices and views, update a bunch of stuff, generate stats. Maybe datapump will be better!)

A gigabyte here, a gigabyte there, and pretty soon you're talking real data. (apologies to senator Dirkson.)

ORA-907? Can't recall having seen that one.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I started on 5.1.5c, $99 from Dr. Dobbs Journal." - Tom Kyte.