Re: backup - openVMS 7.3-1 and Oracle 8.1.7

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:38:40 GMT

Mario wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> please, do you know any good site where I can find information about Oracle
> on the OpenVMS platform? The Oracle documentation is good, but others
> sources are always welcome. The most interesting themes are backup
> procedures. I am not experienced user on the OpenVMS, but I have some
> experience with Oracle on other platforms (HPUX, Wintel).
>
> Backup should be taken as a hot backup and it should be done without any
> special backup software.
>
> As a next step, we would like to try Data Protector installed on HPUX as a
> Cell Manager.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mario.

What is wrong with RMAN? I know of a site that has over 200 databases on VMS that utilizes RMAN (now where did I put those scripts???) (databases are primarily 8i and some 9i)

An important question would be where is the backup currently going. Anything that utilizes the network as a backup medium is utterly ridiculous as would direct-to-tape - especially if you have databases of any significant size. Not to mention the restore time would be totally unacceptable. Using RMAN, I have see a 750+GB database restored and operational from a disk-to-disk backup in just over 3 hours. This same backup restored from tape or over the network would have been 40+ hours. Been there, done that!

Use RMAN. It works and works well. Also these numbers more than justifies having sufficient backup space to contain 2 full and 7 incrementals using RMAN - Remember, this only backs up space used, not space allocated.

--
Michael Austin.
Consultant - Available.  OpenVMS Expert and Oracle DBA - yes I do **ix too.