Re: 10046 Trace Overhead

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:37:02 +0000 (UTC)

Which version of Oracle ?

It makes a difference because enabling
sql_trace also switches on "rowsource
execution statistics", and for some SQL
statements the cost of collecting the
statistics if very high.

There is also the overhead of writing the trace file, which can be significant if your code does a lot of single-row processing (i.e. lots of separate calls to the database) even if you don't have the stats problem to deal with.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated July 14th