Re: Oracle 7 > Oracle 9 question

From: DjPaolo <djpaolo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Apr 2004 02:03:49 -0700

Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<bq3q80dbr9ut4iquugdqh6oj6i9t226v5l_at_4ax.com>...
> On 26 Apr 2004 04:58:37 -0700, djpaolo_at_hotmail.com (DjPaolo) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a Windows NT 4 Server (SP6a) with Oracle 7.3.4. There are 2
> >things I would like to do:
> >
> >1. Upgrade Win NT 4 to Win 2000 Server (servername will change too)
> >2. Install/upgrade Oracle 7.3.4 to Oracle 9I
> >
> >I thought of the following method to do this:
> >
> >- Delete Oracle 7.3.4
> >- Upgrade NT to 2000
> >- Install Oracle 9I
> >
> >Because this server has more financial applications it is not an
> >option to install a clean installation of Windows 2000.
> >
> >Is this the right way for installation or can I expect some problems
> >here?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Paolo
>
> As you've outlined it here, you can expect huge problems. You've said
> nothing about upgrading your database, so it looks like you're
> thinking all you have to do is install a newer version of oracle and
> your older database will come up just hunky-dorey. It just doesn't
> work that way. There is a very definite upgrade procedure for Oracle
> databases, documented with each version. Off hand, I'm not sure that
> it is even possible to upgrade directly from 7x to 9x.
>
> First off, I would not do this as a single, in-place upgrade. I'd get
> a second server, Install Win2k and Oracle 9.2 on it. Check to see if
> you can imp into 9.2 from a 7.3 exp. If so, there you go. If not,
> you'll have to step it up thru 8-something, possibly both 8.0 and 8.1.
> I'm not sure off the top of my head, but reading the release notes
> should answer it.

Ed,

Upgrading the database is not a problem because I've tested the export & import from 7 to 9 with success. The most important part is the possibility to install Oracle 9 on a server which had Oracle 7 on it. Maybe there are a lot of registry keys that are left behind by Oracle 7.

Thanks for the support. Received on Tue Apr 27 2004 - 04:03:49 CDT