Re: Oracle 7 > Oracle 9 question

From: DjPaolo <djpaolo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Apr 2004 02:15:53 -0700

Walt <walt_askier_at_SPAMDAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<408D2322.DDAF7BC5_at_SPAMDAMyahoo.com>...
> DjPaolo wrote:
> >
> > I have a Windows NT 4 Server (SP6a) with Oracle 7.3.4. There are 2
> > things I would like to do:
> >
> > 1. Upgrade Win NT 4 to Win 2000 Server (servername will change too)
> > 2. Install/upgrade Oracle 7.3.4 to Oracle 9I
> >
> > I thought of the following method to do this:
> >
> > - Delete Oracle 7.3.4
> > - Upgrade NT to 2000
> > - Install Oracle 9I
> >
> > Because this server has more financial applications it is not an
> > option to install a clean installation of Windows 2000.
> >
> > Is this the right way for installation or can I expect some problems
> > here?
>
> Your best bet would probably be to install W2k (or W2K3) on new
> hardware, install Oracle 9, and then use export/import to move your data
> from the old database to the new one. This can be tested without
> impacting your current production database.
>
> If you're re-using the hardware, you could export the old database,
> rebuild everything (OS, Oracle version) and import into the newly
> created database. Of course, this means that your database will be down
> for awhile (maybe longer than you think as you run into the inevitable
> snags the first time through any migration) and all your data will be
> bound up in the exp.dmp file. Personally I'd much prefer to test the
> export/import process before throwing away the working production
> database.
>
> Note: I don't know that it's even possible to "upgrade" from NT4 to W2K
> without bascially starting over from scratch. As for Oracle migration,
> I'd never do it on a production database without testing it first in a
> development environment. Good luck.

Walt,

I've tested the option export/import on a W2K testserver with Oracle 9. This works just fine. The problem here is that it is not an option to reinstall the OS on the current server because of all the financial applications that are on it. The only option here is an upgrade of NT4 to W2K. After removing Oracle 7, upgrading to W2K and installing Oracle 9, it can be possible that there are any problems because Oracle leaves some keys behind in the registry? What are the problems I can expect?

Thanks for the support. Received on Tue Apr 27 2004 - 04:15:53 CDT