Re: Oracle 7 > Oracle 9 question

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:22:48 GMT

> Upgrading the database is not a problem because I've tested the export
> & import from 7 to 9 with success. The most important part is the
> possibility to install Oracle 9 on a server which had Oracle 7 on it.
> Maybe there are a lot of registry keys that are left behind by Oracle
> 7.

If you are worried about registry keys, then do the following:

  1. Export your Oracle 7 database.
  2. Uninstall the Oracle 7 software.
  3. Fire up regedit and delete the following:
  4. HKLM\Software\Oracle ii. HKLM\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\xxxx (where xxxx is a DSN created with O7 drivers) iii. HKLM\Software\ODBC\ODBINST.INI\xxxx (Where xxxx is a O7 driver name) iv. HKLM\Software\ODBC\ODBINST.INI\ODBC Drivers\xxxx (where xxxx is a 07 driver name)
  5. Install Oracle 9i
  6. Create your database
  7. Import your data

HTH,