Re: Oracle 7 > Oracle 9 question

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:43:57 -0500

On 26 Apr 2004 04:58:37 -0700, djpaolo_at_hotmail.com (DjPaolo) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a Windows NT 4 Server (SP6a) with Oracle 7.3.4. There are 2
>things I would like to do:
>
>1. Upgrade Win NT 4 to Win 2000 Server (servername will change too)
>2. Install/upgrade Oracle 7.3.4 to Oracle 9I
>
>I thought of the following method to do this:
>
>- Delete Oracle 7.3.4
>- Upgrade NT to 2000
>- Install Oracle 9I
>
>Because this server has more financial applications it is not an
>option to install a clean installation of Windows 2000.
>
>Is this the right way for installation or can I expect some problems
>here?
>
>Thanks,
>Paolo

As you've outlined it here, you can expect huge problems. You've said nothing about upgrading your database, so it looks like you're thinking all you have to do is install a newer version of oracle and your older database will come up just hunky-dorey. It just doesn't work that way. There is a very definite upgrade procedure for Oracle databases, documented with each version. Off hand, I'm not sure that it is even possible to upgrade directly from 7x to 9x.

First off, I would not do this as a single, in-place upgrade. I'd get a second server, Install Win2k and Oracle 9.2 on it. Check to see if you can imp into 9.2 from a 7.3 exp. If so, there you go. If not, you'll have to step it up thru 8-something, possibly both 8.0 and 8.1. I'm not sure off the top of my head, but reading the release notes should answer it. Received on Mon Apr 26 2004 - 08:43:57 CDT