Re: database could not be started

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:51:12 +1000

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 16:48:34 +0200, Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:

> See comments
>
> Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net> schreef in
> berichtnieuws
> yF%Ya.5526$vK4.1947_at_fe05.atl2.webusenet.com...
>
> | On Unix type systems, we put the shutdown immediate in the background
> (easy
> | enough with the "&" on the end of the command) and then sleep 5 minutes
> in
> | the script.
> |
> | If the immediate has not shutdown the database in 5 minutes (doing a
> simple
> | "ps" command in the script to check on the background process), then we
> do
> | shutdown abort.
>
> Good idea.
> I would like to add that in case of a shutdown abort you do a startup
> restrict and shutdown immediate afterwards to be sure no files are in a
> fuzzy state. In case of a restore the redologs are not needed then.
>
> | Have never had a problem with a cold/offline backup where the database
> was
> | not shutdown .
>
> A cold/offline backup means that the database is closed.
> But if you mean you make a backup of a no archivelog mode database that
> was
> open I must strongly request you not to encourage this ever again. I have
> seen too many lost databases because an open database backup was
> restored.
> It's true: you can make a backup of an open database. But when you
> restore
> it you chance is 99% it won't open. And you can't repair that. If you
> have
> another experience it's pure luck, but NEVER again say you can make a
> backup
> of an open database unless 2 conditions are met:
> a. the database runs in archive log mode
> b. the tablespace is in backup mode while it's files are being copied.
>
> | Note: Make sure you are backing up ALL files , especially the REDO logs
> for
> | an offline/cold backup - and especially if a shutdown abort is ever
> issued.

Agree with everything else you said. But this comment from earlier is gob- smackingly bad advice.

Never, ever, ever back up the online redo logs. Ever.

It is marginally less bad to do so in noarchivelog mode than archivelog, but only marginally. And it is *always* redundant to do so, never mind dangerous.

Did I say "never ever"?

Good.

~QM Received on Sat Aug 09 2003 - 09:51:12 CDT