Re: database could not be started

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 16:48:34 +0200

See comments

Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net> schreef in berichtnieuws yF%Ya.5526$vK4.1947_at_fe05.atl2.webusenet.com...

| On Unix type systems, we put the shutdown immediate in the background
(easy
| enough with the "&" on the end of the command) and then sleep 5 minutes in
| the script.
|
| If the immediate has not shutdown the database in 5 minutes (doing a
simple
| "ps" command in the script to check on the background process), then we do
| shutdown abort.

Good idea.
I would like to add that in case of a shutdown abort you do a startup restrict and shutdown immediate afterwards to be sure no files are in a fuzzy state. In case of a restore the redologs are not needed then.

| Have never had a problem with a cold/offline backup where the database was
| not shutdown .

A cold/offline backup means that the database is closed. But if you mean you make a backup of a no archivelog mode database that was open I must strongly request you not to encourage this ever again. I have seen too many lost databases because an open database backup was restored. It's true: you can make a backup of an open database. But when you restore it you chance is 99% it won't open. And you can't repair that. If you have another experience it's pure luck, but NEVER again say you can make a backup of an open database unless 2 conditions are met: a. the database runs in archive log mode b. the tablespace is in backup mode while it's files are being copied.