Re: question on 9iAS, backups and different platforms

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 17:51:07 +0300

Hi!

> pheonix1t wrote:
> > hello,
> > before I get too far with my current project i'd like to run this past
> > the experienced people on this list to see what they've seen regarding
> > this issue.
> > I have to deploy an oracle 9iAS server. For now, we have the windows
> > 2000 disks for this....but eventually the whole 9iAS system will be pure

I would put it on linux from start, that way you'll find a lot of issues with iAS and have a chance to fix them during development period, instead of finding out some platform specific issues afrter you've deployed. In which language/environment you'll develop?
For example, migrating Portal apps from one instance of database to another is major pain in the ass.

> > Also...I got a bit of an odd request yesterday. Can oracle serve as a
> > file server to store a bunch of stuff that is being shared on a network?
> > I don't think so. But I did recall the Collaboration Suite does
> > something like this, but you can't just use windows explorer to see the
> > shared files....you have to use an oracle client to see all of your
> > stuff. Can something like this be done? The reason is that this
> > medical center has a very strict way they have setup their folder
> > structure for the shared files. Like I said....I'm not sure, but if
> > anyone can confirm this, that would be cool!

Yes, search for Oracle Files, formerly known as IFS (Internet File System). It's part of Collaboration Suite, could be available separately as well. You can store and index all kinds of files, retrieve documents in various formats regardless how they were stored, acces files using http, webdav, ftp, nfs, etc.. And SMB protocol is supported, thus you can access your files from any Windows computer without any Oracle client installation. Only when you want to do version controling and permission management, you need to install the client software.

After a year of pain with IFS, I came to a conclusion, that files belong to file server, not database and migrated back to BSD+Samba.

Tanel.