Re: database could not be started

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 00:38:02 -0500

Just 1 opinion... the exact circumstances you describe are a good reason to do a shutdown abort.

I would say it is probably always better to do a shutdown abort instead of killing the processes.

You should always try the shutdown immediate first, but do a shutdown abort after whatever time seems appropriate for your experience with shutdown immediates.

On Unix type systems, we put the shutdown immediate in the background (easy enough with the "&" on the end of the command) and then sleep 5 minutes in the script.

If the immediate has not shutdown the database in 5 minutes (doing a simple "ps" command in the script to check on the background process), then we do a shutdown abort.

Have never had a problem with a cold/offline backup where the database was not shutdown .

Note: Make sure you are backing up ALL files , especially the REDO logs for an offline/cold backup - and especially if a shutdown abort is ever issued.