Re: how to avoid fast full scan of index?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 18:11:22 +0300

"Anurag Varma" <avarmadba.skipthis_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:gTXYa.1031$aE1.279_at_nwrddc01.gnilink.net...

> I actually suggested that because it has worked for me many times. In fact
> do not
> recollect when I was not able to convert the fast full scan to range scan
> this way.
> So I'm not sure if index(g) means any kind of index scan .. or just plain
> range/unique index scan.
> Now I admit that I might be wrong .. however, its worth a test at least?
>
> How are you so sure about your comment? Is that documented anywhere?

Hm, seems that I have confused something here, you are correct. When index hint is specified, then CBO doesn't even evaluate other access paths as seen from trace.
A test is exactly what I made before confirming my assumptions, but I probably did something wrong. Maybe I used index_ffs hint accidentially, I don't have the test results anymore. Sorry about the confusion, I'll try to be a better person in the future :)

1:0 - you lead ;)

Tanel. Received on Sat Aug 09 2003 - 10:11:22 CDT