Re: database could not be started

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 17:18:12 +0200

quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com> schreef in berichtnieuws oprtm7jmjizkogxn_at_haydn...
| On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 16:48:34 +0200, Anton Buijs
<remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
| wrote:

| > | Note: Make sure you are backing up ALL files , especially the REDO
logs
| > for
| > | an offline/cold backup - and especially if a shutdown abort is ever
| > issued.
|

| Agree with everything else you said. But this comment from earlier is gob-
| smackingly bad advice.
|
| Never, ever, ever back up the online redo logs. Ever.
|
| It is marginally less bad to do so in noarchivelog mode than archivelog,
| but only marginally. And it is *always* redundant to do so, never mind
| dangerous.
|
| Did I say "never ever"?
|
| Good.
|
| ~QM

It's Burton's remark to backup the redo files and I did not react on it because frankly I am in favor to backup the online redos when: a. the database runs in noarchivelogmode b. and you don't use rman to make backups (rman never backup redos anyway) For 2 reasons:
a. if you did a shutdown abort you need them to recover the database b. when you have them you can normally open the database and you have a real complete set; without the redologs you must do an open resetlogs. Your reaction will probably be: "make sure you do a clean shutdown" and "what the heck, open resetlogs isn't so bad" but my reaction would be: not a problem to backup the redo's too and I am protected against these 2 possible mistakes.

For a database in archivelogmode I agree: never backup the redologs because you probably do a roll forward and have the archives available for that purpose. And you can't be tempted to restore them, loosing the real ones and therefore loosing transactions.

Altough a "best practice" would be to always make a savety copy of a control file and redolog files and if possible the entire database or involved files before beginning a restore/recovery. Received on Sat Aug 09 2003 - 10:18:12 CDT