Re: Oracle: Naked King in database land?

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:19:32 -0800

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3E8BBB50.F6ADEF58_at_telusplanet.net...
> <sigh> why do we idiots always get into religious debates over editors????
It's
> always been a personal choice! And there will never be a 'right' or
'wrong'
> answer, just like any other religion, theological or otherwise.<end sigh>

I know, it's silly indeed. Here is a wise advise from kiteboarding learning video: "And remember: your personal preference is the key!" Applies universally: VHS vs. Betamax, Apple vs. PC, vi vs. other editors.

> 1) I happen to like vi - I'm much faster using that tool than many others
on the
> market. The commands are actually quite intuitive, and the whole package
is
> much easier on my wrist than any mousey editor. Of course, I learned it
when
> there were few alternatives, and I did learn how to use >all< the
capabilities.
> So a lot of my "likes" are a result of the fingers working automatically.
> Obviously your experience and mine are somewhat different & therefore I
don't
> see where you get the justification for your comment.

I came to Unix from MSWindows. The developer tools unfriendlines was amaizing. On the top of that was -- you guess it -- vi. Now it's somewhat changing with [portable] Java Swing based tools, like JBuilder. Still, they have a lot to catch up (I have in mind something like Source Insight -- the GUI is just fantastic). I'm in the wrong newsgroup to seek for a sympathy, of course -- GUI was never oracle strength:-(

> Nevertheless, the only reason for defending it is because the original
poster
> was so blatantly silly.
> 2) Re-read what I wrote. I do not put vi and "modern" editors in the same
> category. vi is a character manipulator, nothing more, nothing less.
Todays
> editors do a lot of other things, some well, some poorly. But I still do
not
> find them easy for plain and simple character manipulation.

What is character manipulator? Does an editor with regular expr search&replace function qualify for character manipulator?

> 3) Keep in mind my very, very first line [Trolling?]. Now, place tongue in
cheek
> while you re-read my comment. ((Now reread your response & keeping tongue
in
> place, firmly bite down.))

You aren't new to newsgroup, aren't you? A posting about oracle beeing incomprehensively complex to learn and manage pops up on this newsgroup every couple of months or so. Consider this newsgroup as a channel people can express their frustration, and choose to ignore them if you wish. Received on Thu Apr 03 2003 - 11:19:32 CST