Re: Oracle: Naked King in database land?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 18:56:53 GMT

Mikito Harakiri wrote:

> I came to Unix from MSWindows. The developer tools unfriendlines was
> amaizing. On the top of that was -- you guess it -- vi. Now it's somewhat
> changing with [portable] Java Swing based tools, like JBuilder. Still, they
> have a lot to catch up (I have in mind something like Source Insight -- the
> GUI is just fantastic). I'm in the wrong newsgroup to seek for a sympathy,
> of course -- GUI was never oracle strength:-(

Yes, I agree ... if you come from a GUI/IDE environment then you would have difficulty with a lot of traditional UNIX utilities. Seen this many times with the new-gen programmers. From another perspective - probably because I learned (a long time ago - late 70's) - the modern tools assumptions and resulting restrictions are unfriendly.

In general I dislike self-contained IDEs like those you mention. It's really does get to be the old "if all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail" syndrome - you learn the work-arounds that the IDE fails to accomodate and you pray the IDE developer finally implements that one feature you've been requesting. In addition, I am not aware of any IDE that allows totally moose-less operation; usually there is one nifty little thing that does not have a keyboard shortcut..

All I'm saying - keep an open mind; use the right tool for the job; both depend on experience and background.

> > Nevertheless, the only reason for defending it is because the original
> poster
> > was so blatantly silly.
> > 2) Re-read what I wrote. I do not put vi and "modern" editors in the same
> > category. vi is a character manipulator, nothing more, nothing less.
> Todays
> > editors do a lot of other things, some well, some poorly. But I still do
> not
> > find them easy for plain and simple character manipulation.
>
> What is character manipulator? Does an editor with regular expr
> search&replace function qualify for character manipulator?

A "character manipulator" is a tool that allows modification of one-or-more bytes in a file, using simple commands and possibly regex, without requiring the full weight of a major program; without requiring the use of a mouse; without requiring the use of a human in some situations; without presenting a lot of unnecessary eye candy (unnecessary being anything that is not required to complete the task at hand - buttons, fonts, cursors, and so on).

> > 3) Keep in mind my very, very first line [Trolling?]. Now, place tongue in
> cheek
> > while you re-read my comment. ((Now reread your response & keeping tongue
> in
> > place, firmly bite down.))
>
> You aren't new to newsgroup, aren't you? A posting about oracle beeing

> incomprehensively complex to learn and manage pops up on this newsgroup

> every couple of months or so. Consider this newsgroup as a channel people
> can express their frustration, and choose to ignore them if you wish.

<chuckle> Yes, I do see these regularily, and occasionally I do respond - check the archives.

I vote we create a new newsgroup - comp.database.oracle.bitchsession or comp.data.oracle.i_am_to_dumb_to_read_manuals_so_I_need_a_place_to_gripe .

/Hans Received on Thu Apr 03 2003 - 12:56:53 CST