Re: Oracle: Naked King in database land?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 04:44:46 GMT

Mikito Harakiri wrote:

> then, and no decent editor today require a user remembering silly and
> counter intuitive commands anymore. Why are you guys so vigorously defending
> this old piece of junk?

<sigh> why do we idiots always get into religious debates over editors???? It's always been a personal choice! And there will never be a 'right' or 'wrong' answer, just like any other religion, theological or otherwise.<end sigh>

So actually

  1. I happen to like vi - I'm much faster using that tool than many others on the market. The commands are actually quite intuitive, and the whole package is much easier on my wrist than any mousey editor. Of course, I learned it when there were few alternatives, and I did learn how to use >all< the capabilities. So a lot of my "likes" are a result of the fingers working automatically. Obviously your experience and mine are somewhat different & therefore I don't see where you get the justification for your comment.

Nevertheless, the only reason for defending it is because the original poster was so blatantly silly.

2) Re-read what I wrote. I do not put vi and "modern" editors in the same category. vi is a character manipulator, nothing more, nothing less. Todays editors do a lot of other things, some well, some poorly. But I still do not find them easy for plain and simple character manipulation.

3) Keep in mind my very, very first line [Trolling?]. Now, place tongue in cheek while you re-read my comment. ((Now reread your response & keeping tongue in place, firmly bite down.)) Received on Wed Apr 02 2003 - 22:44:46 CST