Oracle hangs, no errors

From: Sean Leach <sleachNOSPAM_at_netlojix.comnospam>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:34:51 -0800

Hi,

Sorry, but here is a very vague trouble description:

Platform: Sun Solaris 8 (Sparc), latest patch clusters DB: Oracle 8.1.7.0.0

For some reason, the database will just hang, no errors in any of the alert or trace logs, and sometimes, it will correct itself, and other, we can do a "shutdown abort" to stop the instance, but all of the child SID processes are still there, and eventually go to a "<defunct>" state, such that we have to reboot the machine to fix it.

Sometimes, we can do a SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table1, and it will succeed, but then a SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table2 will fail. Sounded like a table lock issue, but not sure...

Sometimes, we can restart the listener, and that fixes it, other times, it doesn't.

The db data is mounted on a NetApp, but we ran for over 200 days with no problems before, and then this problems just suddenly started happening. We have disk_async_io set to false, as we had a problem with asynchronous IO before, and that fixed THAT problem, but now we have this no error hanging. It sucks as I have no where to start looking. Any tips?

Thanks,
Sean Received on Mon Nov 26 2001 - 18:34:51 CST