Re: Oracle hangs, no errors

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 01:08:59 GMT

In Oracle writers don't block readers so you should be able to do "select count(*) from table2;"

What error do you get when the select fails?

There are later patches for 8.1.7. It is now up to 8.1.7.3 last I looked. Do you have more connections to the db now than before and you are allocating too much ram on the server and hence swapping? Does a shutdown immediate work?
Jim