Re: Oracle hangs, no errors

From: Burt Peltier <burtpelt_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:01:15 -0600

For Solaris, there is a bug that is related to how long the machine has been up. I thought it was going to be fixed in 8.1.7 , but it causes things to hang and usually a reboot is required. I think the number of days before the hang starts is dependent on some Solaris setting and for most machines is around 244 days, but could be a lot lower . Doing this from memory... I don't have my work account handy, but the bug is documented in Metalink.

Also, sometimes putting sql_trace = true in the init.ora will cause Oracle to give more messages, especially useful during shutdown or startup . This generates trace files for EVERY process , so I wouldn't let users in while doing this .