Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA?

From: R. Scott Hunter <robertscothunter_at_aol.comnospam>
Date: 02 Jan 2001 15:59:49 GMT

Hm. Well I've been an Oracle DBA for about 14 year s or so and I never went to an Oracle class in my life, Oracle Masters or the OCP program or any of that. That's nothing to brag about, to be sure; Oracle Corporation, TUSC, and others offer some very good training.

On the OTHER hand, there really is no substitute for experience, especially with Oracle and UNIX. There are a million little tricks that nobody seems to teach in these classes that only come with time and endless frustration. The other day I used the UNIX find command with a bunch of arguments to do something in a minute that would have taken half an hour otherwise, and of course we need not get into the arcanie realm of all the functions of VI.

If you're just starting out with Oracle, an Oracle Masters certificate could make the difference between getting a job or not. As David F said, you'd probably start off on minor stuff, probably working under a Senior Oracle DBA, but the experience will come in time. Don't expect it to happen overnight.

R. Scott Hunter
Please respond to: rshunter_at_navy.org
GO NAVY!