Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA?

From: R. Scott Hunter <robertscothunter_at_aol.comnospam>
Date: 04 Jan 2001 05:40:48 GMT

That's great advice, Liz.

Add to that PEOPLE SKILLS. As a DBA you almost will invariably become a pivotal support for your organization's efforts with Oracle in development and production, although junior DBA's generally start out, as Liz says, with fairly well defined tasks. Actually I don't ever have my junior DBA's do off hours work, I usually take the crap stuff and have them work with me during the day when I can keep an eye on them.

If you can't deal with constant interruptions when you are trying to concentrate, or being called into an endless meeting just as you were about to get a real problem fixed, and if you cannot suffer fools at least relatively gladly, then being a DBA is not for you, if you want to advance in your career beyond the graveyard shift. That does not mean you aren't entitled to bark when someone wants to talk about next year's budget and you have a down production system.

I say this with feeling because in a few instances, even after the most extensive interviewing process I knew how to concoct short of Pentothal and a polygraph exam, I have ended up with Ratberts and Dogberts who were technically sound, but totally obnoxious. If you don't truly love the work and feel rewarded by the things you can fix and the people you can help and the things you can teach others, this isn't the right job for you.

R. Scott Hunter
Please respond to: rshunter_at_navy.org
GO NAVY!