Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA?

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 15:03:02 GMT

In our last gripping episode "atl.mediaone" <rmycroft_at_mediaone.net> wrote:
> No one with any sense is going to trust their company data - and
 that's what gets stored in those databases -
> to someone with just a bunch of certificates. The price if you screw
 up is
> way too high. Go look at the ads in your local paper and you'll see
 that
> almost 100% require work experience. I've even seen ads locally that
 state
> 'no developers need apply.'
>
> Rich M.

Then there must be a number of "senseless" companies out there. I know of several entry-level DBA's who had no experience but obtained jobs. Of course they were the "low man on the totem pole" in the DBA group, and didn't have sole responsibility for any major projects, but they did find work and have successfully grown in their careers. It IS possible. But, don't expect to have any real responsibilities for a while.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com