Re: Very large Oracle Databases

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:12:04 +0800

G. Bhan wrote:

> A confession first -- I am an Oracle newbie, looking at a possible
> MSSQL7.0 to Oracle migration, followed by a mass data import.
>
> I would like to hear from anyone with first-hand knowledge of large
> Oracle8 installation (25 GB plus, 10,000 simultaneous users, 7 by 24
> operations, etc.). Is Oracle easily scalable to this level or
> service? What soft of hardware configuration (i.e proc specs) does it
> take to support such a database running online realtime applications?
>
> TIA & Regards

> Gautam Bhan
> Unisys Corporation, Norcross GA
>
> All opinions expressed in this message are personal
> in nature, and do not reflect those of Unisys Corporation.
>
> Please change 'xxx' in the return address to 'com'

25G plus will not be a problem - many people (including where I used to be) run databases in the 100's or 1000's of gig.

24x7 not an issue - Oracle has a very effective "hot" backup mechanism

10,000 concurrent users...now that could be a challenge...Out of my league there. Look at: Connection Manager, Multi-threaded server information...

HTH
--

Connor McDonald
Interforce Consultants

"Hardware,n. The bits that can be kicked" Received on Thu May 27 1999 - 10:12:04 CDT