Re: Very large Oracle Databases

From: Sam <sang777_at_jps.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 08:22:48 -0700

Connor McDonald wrote in message <374D60C4.4FF8_at_yahoo.com>...
>G. Bhan wrote:
>>
>> A confession first -- I am an Oracle newbie, looking at a possible
>> MSSQL7.0 to Oracle migration, followed by a mass data import.
>>
>> I would like to hear from anyone with first-hand knowledge of large
>> Oracle8 installation (25 GB plus, 10,000 simultaneous users, 7 by 24
>> operations, etc.). Is Oracle easily scalable to this level or
>> service? What soft of hardware configuration (i.e proc specs) does it
>> take to support such a database running online realtime applications?
>>
>> TIA & Regards
>>
>> *****************************************************
>> Gautam Bhan
>> Unisys Corporation, Norcross GA
>>
>> All opinions expressed in this message are personal
>> in nature, and do not reflect those of Unisys Corporation.
>>
>> Please change 'xxx' in the return address to 'com'
>

>25G plus will not be a problem - many people (including where I used to
>be) run databases in the 100's or 1000's of gig.
>
>24x7 not an issue - Oracle has a very effective "hot" backup mechanism
>
>10,000 concurrent users...now that could be a challenge...Out of my
>league there. Look at: Connection Manager, Multi-threaded server
>information...
>
>HTH
>--

25GB+ and 10k users is nothing to compare with the one I supported with 300GB and 200,000 concurrence users & 7x24 hrs... Oracle RDBMS is one of the best scalable database engine compared to SQL Server 7.0. Granted that Oracle is not easy to use as SQL Server 7.0 and the cost is 7 ~ 10 times more than SQL Server 7.0, but it's reliable (specially with Unix platform). Received on Mon May 31 1999 - 10:22:48 CDT