ORA 3113 is making me miserable

From: Sean B Fernandes <sean_at_unagi.cis.upenn.edu>
Date: 10 May 1999 10:13:16 GMT

I'm a newbie DBA running Oracle 7.3.4 on AIX 4.3.2 with 2GB of memory. For the last couple of days I have been experiencing a very weirdd problem which cropped up for no apparent reason.

Users complain that they have problems connecting to Oracle. When I go into Server Manager I am unable to connect to any of the 4 (250 Mb SGA) instances that I have set up. I get the following error

ORA 3113 - "end of file on communication channel"

The first time this happened I had to reboot the box and watch Oracle perform recovery as there was no way to shut down the database cleanly. Now I've figured out that by using ipcrm -s to remove semaphores and memory segments after kill -9ing all oracle processes I can get it to restart without having to reboot. However this is obviously a very bad situation and I cannot figure out what the problem is. Any help at all would be very much appreciated. If you need further details please e-mail.

Thanks in advance,

Sean Received on Mon May 10 1999 - 05:13:16 CDT