Re: ORA 3113 is making me miserable

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:53:06 GMT

A copy of this was sent to sean_at_unagi.cis.upenn.edu (Sean B Fernandes) (if that email address didn't require changing) On 10 May 1999 10:13:16 GMT, you wrote:

>I'm a newbie DBA running Oracle 7.3.4 on AIX 4.3.2 with 2GB of memory.
>For the last couple of days I have been experiencing a very weirdd
>problem which cropped up for no apparent reason.
>
>Users complain that they have problems connecting to Oracle. When I go
>into Server Manager I am unable to connect to any of the 4 (250 Mb SGA)
>instances that I have set up. I get the following error
>
>ORA 3113 - "end of file on communication channel"

3113 is typically accompanied by a trace file in the user_dump_dest on the server. In any case, 3113 are caused by various things and you will typically need support to help you here. Have you started that process?

>The first time this happened I had to reboot the box and watch Oracle
>perform recovery as there was no way to shut down the database cleanly.
>Now I've figured out that by using ipcrm -s to remove semaphores and
>memory segments after kill -9ing all oracle processes I can get it to
>restart without having to reboot. However this is obviously a very bad
>situation and I cannot figure out what the problem is. Any help at all
>would be very much appreciated. If you need further details please e-mail.

do a "shutdown abort" to clean those things out. You don't need to use kill and ipcrm.

>Thanks in advance,
>

>Sean

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon May 10 1999 - 07:53:06 CDT