Re: Oracle's Web Application Server

From: Bits 'n' Bytes <leaman_at_shell.clark.net>
Date: 16 Jul 1998 18:02:18 GMT

Hi Gilbert,

I've been administering an Oracle Web Serv 2.1.1 installation for a few years against a 7.3.3 database, and I've had similar experiences. The software is not very good about dealing with a situation where a particular database is down when OWS is started. When you start OWS and it sees that a particular database is unavailable, it NEVER checks again. Until you reload the web listeners, all requests to that DCD will fail. And the software is just flakey overall. And I don't beleive some of these issues were addressed in 3.x.

Bryan S. Leaman
leaman_at_bitbytes.com

gilb_at_xxx.senate.gov wrote:
: I'm running Version 3.0 of oracle's Web Application Server and we have
: a small web application (using PL/SQL) that gets to a 8.0.4 database.
: Occasionally, we cannot access the application via our browser and
: have to bounce our Web listeners and Web Request Broker before we can
: gain access to the application. Most of the time, when we shut down
: the Web components and before we can restart them successfully, we
: have to go to a Unix system prompt and kill several web server
: processes that are still active. Our operating system is Sun Solaris
: 2.6. We are new to the Oracle Web Server product and haven't really
: done any customization or tuning. Has anyone experienced similar
: happenings or possibly has some insight they'd like to offer

: Gilbert