Re: Disk/tspace config. for Oracle on AIX

From: Mark Baker <mark_at_mrb-basys.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 18:57:00 +0100

(Steve, I've been sent a 'failed to send' notification for the message below twice now, when I attempted to send it direct to your 'rat-a-tat..' address, so I'm posting to the group instead:)

Thanks again for all your input!

Yes, AIX with LVM striping does prevent mirroring as you say, which is of course not good - but since I'm only looking to worry about the big summary tables in this warehouse (for now at least) I'm not too bothered about taking a disk hit. The summary tables are rebuilt weekly anyway with CTAS unrecoverable - all 72 partitions (2 tables, 36 months to each) can rebuild in just one night and still leave time for the normal backup. If a disk crashes then it's hard luck to the users - 'an acceptable level of downtime', so long as it's not more than 2 or 3 times a year!

I only wish I wasn't stuck with such tight deadlines to deliver so I could go for some exhaustive tests on the most promising combinations.

And thanks for the tip on the book - I'll look for it this weekend.

Best regards

Mark Received on Thu Jul 16 1998 - 12:57:00 CDT