Tablespace Configuration

From: Alan Barclay <barclaya_at_NO-SPAM.aberdeen.geoquest.slb.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:27:58 +0100

Hi,

I am setting up a system on Sun hardware with Oracle7.3.

I have separate table spaces for Data tables and Indexes (I presume that separate tablespaces give better performance over all tables in 1 tablespace - Also tablespaces on separate physical devices gives all tablespaces on 1 device).

If I have a 4Gb disk for Data, and the above is reasonable thinking, then should I create a single 4Gb datafile or 4 1Gb datafiles, etc . What impact does many datafiles have?

Thanks for any guidance.

--
Alan Barclay
Schlumberger GeoQuest