Re: Tablespace Configuration

From: Dave O'Keeffe <DOKeeffe_at_n0spam.cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 21:33:46 +0100

Alan Barclay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a system on Sun hardware with Oracle7.3.
>
> I have separate table spaces for Data tables and Indexes (I presume that
> separate tablespaces give better performance over all tables in 1
> tablespace - Also tablespaces on separate physical devices gives all
> tablespaces on 1 device).
>
> If I have a 4Gb disk for Data, and the above is reasonable thinking,
> then should I create a single 4Gb datafile or 4 1Gb datafiles, etc .
> What impact does many datafiles have?
>
> Thanks for any guidance.
>
> --
> Alan Barclay
> Schlumberger GeoQuest
> barclaya_at_aberdeen.geoquest.slb.com

Alan,

I trust that is separate tablespaces for data, indexes, temporary space and rollback segments?

Many datafiles does not have a big overhead, but I would see little point in having four 1GB datafiles making up a single tablespace on one disk unit. It would be easier to make a single 4GB file and have done with it. If you are trying to balance disk i/o over several disks, then maybe four 1GB files makes sense if each of them is on a different disk!

Dave O'Keeffe

--
For email replys remove "n0spam." from the above address Received on Tue Apr 21 1998 - 15:33:46 CDT