Re: Tablespace Configuration

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_XXnospamXX.toneline.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:49:05 +0100

Alan Barclay wrote in message
<353C74AD.3DED102D_at_NO-SPAM.aberdeen.geoquest.slb.com>...
>Hi,
>
>I am setting up a system on Sun hardware with Oracle7.3.
>
>I have separate table spaces for Data tables and Indexes (I presume that
>separate tablespaces give better performance over all tables in 1
>tablespace - Also tablespaces on separate physical devices gives all
>tablespaces on 1 device).

Er, I think you mean the more devices (spindles) you spread over the better. Yes, generally that's true. As regards how you spilt, indexes v data is a start, but not really the solution. You really need to balance the I/O for the most heavily used sections of your db, just splitting indexes and data will not necessarily do that.

>If I have a 4Gb disk for Data, and the above is reasonable thinking,
>then should I create a single 4Gb datafile or 4 1Gb datafiles, etc .
>What impact does many datafiles have?

I take it we are just talking about the data here? If so, then maybe a 2G spilt would be better. You could go 1x4G, but *only* if your OS and the Oracle release on it support 'large' files. Check the Oracle installation guide for your platform.

I use 2G splits for large db's, but then we use DLT tape drives, so we can pull a 2G file back from a restore very quickly. If you use a slower technology, smaller datafiles (say 1G) make more sense.

Steve Phelan.