Re: Best location for new graduates?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 05:46:34 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 23, 4:39 pm, kevx <k..._at_me.you> wrote:
> Thanks, David and Joel. Duluth sounds interesting. I already figured
> that I'd have to at least start in programming, which is no problem. I
> think I'll get Sql Server certified, too, although I prefer Oracle.
> Whatever it takes to get a foot in the door, right? Wish me luck. anyone
> else have suggestions? All are appreciated!
>

> kevx wrote:
> > I'm just finishing up my B.A. in database technologies, and I've been
> > looking for my first position in the field. There are lots of Oracle
> > jobs in my area (Tampa, FL) but no one seems to be interested in new
> > graduates with no experience. I've heard that other areas in the US
> > aren't as competitive and often hire entry level with little or no
> > experience. Doe's anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look
> > and possibly move?
>
> > Thank you!- Hide quoted text -

Getting 'certified' doesn't mean much anymore, since anyone with a few extra dollars to spend can get certified and still have absolutely no practical experience. I've known people who 'earned' their OCP and cannot answer a simple question like 'what is a rowid?' I would suggest, instead, that you download a copy of Oracle 10g or 11g, install it and begin working with it, learning what it can do. Any experience is better than no experience.

If you're also serious about the SQL Server path I would recommend you visit www.microsoft.com/sql and download the 180 day evaluation copy of SQL Server 2005 and 'play' with that. You do need to remember that even though both products are DBMS servers the similarities pretty much end there. Very little of the operational and syntactical knowledge is transferrable between the two. So, don't expect that the 'if I know one then the other is easy' addage to hold true; it won't.

Of course you may get caught up in the exciting night life and social arena that is Duluth. Just promise me you won't go astray and visit that den of iniquity known as Bemidji. <g>

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Jan 24 2008 - 07:46:34 CST

Original text of this message