Re: ORA-12514 with 10g Install (LONG...)

From: Scout <scout1024_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:09:46 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Frank.

> You should be able to start the service either from the
> services panel (My Computer->Right Mouse, Manage, iirc, or
> via Control Panel). Start OracleServiceORCL (capitalization
> is mine. Even from a DOS-box: net start OracleServiceORCL
> should either report the service is already started, or start
> it.

Yes, I know that.But would you know why the listener doesnt start?

> I think you should not use the listener at all (and for local
> sessions you do not need the listener); just set the correct
> environment (set ORACLE_SID=ORCL, %ORACLE_HOME%/bin is in
> your path, %ORACLE_HOME% is set, etc), and you're done.
Can I connect to this DB using Toad without the listener? Or add tables etc to the database without ever starting the listener?

But do you know why the listener doesnt start?

> I think all problems are from the fact you sometimes are
> logged on to a domain, and when you are, you are not a local administrator.
> When you logon to your computer (using your computer's name
> for a "domain"), you are local admin.
> That, or vice versa.

In that case, should it not run flawlessly if I install when I am logged in as the local administrator? I did already try installing XE when I was logged onto the local box, and that caused the same issue.

> You should be able to logon to your default domain, even when
> you are not connected to it - Windows uses a cache mechanism
> that still allows you to login, even though your credentials
> cannot be verified.

Sorr, I didnt get that. Are you implying that I should log on to the network domain, or the local computer? Does Windows cache the login when I try to connect to the local computer, or the domain? How can I log in such that it will make it work?

> Just give it a try, and let us know when things do work.
Thanks. Thsi time I logged onto the local box as admin, and tried the same exercise you recommended.
Here are the results

C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db\BIN>sqlplus / as sysdba Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus
Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory

C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db\BIN>tnsping ORCL

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 23-JAN-2
008 21:59:18

Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Message 3511 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNSTNS-035
05: Message 3505 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNS

Do you know whats going on now? I did recheck the ORACLE_HOME and the Path. Is it that the settings have been installed for my network user and not the local user, as a result, missing some setup? Would this be solved if I installed while logged in as the local user? (note that I have tried this with XE unsuccessfully)

> I'd be happy if you got an ORA-01031, ORA-01034 or 1107.
Why is that?

> Again - do not worry about the listener - local access does
> not need one! It just needs a correct environment!
Again, dont I need I listener to be able to create tables etc? Also, the service OracleDBConsoleorcl doesnt start either. Isnt that the one that links to the Enterprise Manager? I cant access the web based enterprise manager either (http://localhost:1158/em)

> BTW how did you create an instance (the ORCL thing)?!?

When I installed it, there were options for 2 kinds of images - 1. basic install with no basic DB and 2-install with an instance. I picked the second one.

Please do answer my questions (pleading ignorance)

Thanks!! Received on Wed Jan 23 2008 - 21:09:46 CST

Original text of this message