Re: ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number 7 with name "R05" too small

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 12:53:01 +0100

Daryl Peh wrote:

> It can't be the rollback segment is too small as the DBA confirm
> that the rollback segment is actually very big.

Your DBA should know this one, it's a classic: 'Snapshot too old' I'm not a DBA, but I seem to recall it will help when more rollback segments are created, which in turn do not have to be oversized. Look what I found in the Server Application Developer's Guide: "Changed data blocks queried by a read-only transaction are reconstructed using data from rollback segments. Therefore, long running read-only transactions sometimes receive a "snapshot too old" error (ORA-01555). Create more, or larger, rollback segments to avoid this. Alternatively, you could issue long-running queries when online transaction processing is at a minimum, or you could obtain a shared lock on the table you were querying, prohibiting any other modifications during the transaction."

Happy hunting! Frank Received on Wed Dec 30 1998 - 05:53:01 CST