Re: Logical standby deprecated???

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 22:28:05 +0000

Using the EDIT ... SET PROPERTY command continues to work. However, the data about the setting is no longer stored in the broker metadata file. Instead, Oracle recommends that you use the SQL*Plus package DBMS_LOGSTDBY to change the Logical Standby properties. The Logical Standby properties for Oracle Data Guard broker can be desupported in a future release.

Directly using the SQL*Plus package DBMS_LOGSTDBY removes the possibility of inconsistent configuration data between the broker and a Logical Standby database, and provides one interface to manage a Logical Standby.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Leng <lkaing_at_gmail.com> Sent: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 3:01 PM
To: andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> Cc: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>; oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Logical standby deprecated???

I suspect the future direction is indeed golden gate.

This is probably the start of the depreciation steps:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/upgrd/behavior-changes-deprecated-desupport-oracle-database.html#GUID-CC42E8DA-7203-449E-BCEA-8187ECC4BCDF

Starting in Oracle Database 19c, Logical Standby properties of Oracle Data Guard broker are deprecated.

Cheers,
Leng

On 2 Oct 2019, at 6:45 am, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com<mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

Im not sure how you could deprecate the logical standby without dropping goldengate entirely.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 3:42 PM Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com<mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>> wrote: I've heard today from a customer that "logical standby is deprecated" and that "their Oracle sales guy told them that". This is a surprise to me. Is that correct and is there a paper about it, if it is? I know that the support for the extended data types is deprecated in 19c, but not the whole logical standby? It looks like a tall tale to me, to be honest.

Regards

--

Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant