Re: Oracle DBA to PostGreSQL DBA?

From: Patrice sur GMail <patrice.boivin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 08:14:31 -0400

Interesting question re. postgres.

One hydrographic software company added postgres, they used to support only Oracle. one of our regions went with that but the others didn't, now that region sort of forked and are out of sync with the others. technically postgres might have been ok but the bureaucracy doesn't adapt well to people going off in a new direction. all it takes is one manager to get promoted elsewhere or retire and these open source "projects" lose favour.  (another example is Grails, now the flavour-of-the-day might be Spring).

The favorite buzzwords from uppet managament at work for the past year has been "the cloud" and "big data" but I have a sneaking suspicion they are not clear on what client need they will meet. Management is keem on the cloud because they mismanaged procurement and no one seems able or willing to direct, it's a big bureaucracy here. As for big data, I haven't heard a single client here asking for it. they would be much happier if all the apps were running on current tech (software platforms and hardware). We also find networks to be slow, we are geographically distributed across Canada (look at Canada on a world map), how does "the cloud" plan to work properly in places where the geography is so large that the LAN is actually 200+ sites liked by a WAN.

I think as long as you can fix problems while others are having visions, and your clients know you're the person who can make things work well for them so they can get the job done, you will be in demand. people who talk a lot and thrive on meetings but cannot really contribute anyrhing useful will always be around but on a day-to-day basis it's better to be like an engineer. IMHO.

Good luck.

P.s. I learned we still have an apl app here for a scientist. Apparently he is happy, it works well.