10g RAC and defined services performance problem

From: Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:51:41 -0400

We have a 3-node 10.2.0.3 RAC Server on Red Hat 4, and have defined about 20 additional services with preferred nodes set to 1 specific node, with available nodes set for the other 2 nodes. Workload is divided evenly with about 7 services on each node. Has anybody run into specific problems with performance when using a lot of services, as opposed to having the application just connect to the main db load-balanced service ?

This particular application has a reputation from the developers of not scaling well across RAC nodes, and we have recently been advised of a lot of performance problems that I am now starting to investigate, but I want to get some opinions on the wisdom of using many different services rather than just a few or one.