DBMS_STATS and ORA-01422

From: <Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:39:22 -0400

Hi Gurus,

Recently I migrated one database from to on Solaris 9
(this is test database, copy of production)

Strangely when I tried to update stats on one of the partitioned tables I receive following error:

END; *
ERROR at line 1:

ORA-01422: exact fetch returns more than requested number of rows
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 13182
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 13202
ORA-06512: at line 1

I checked dual and there is only one row in dual table.

When I run same gather_stats on exact copy of production database still in it ran without any problem.

Has any one encountered this?

One thing I noticed:
Select count(*) from dba_objects where object_name='PS_JRNL_LN' returns 13 rows
select count(*) from sys.obj$ where name='PS_JRNL_LN' returns 14 rows.

Additional row in obj$ table has type#=10 which is "NON_EXISTENT" according to comment in DBA_OBJECTS view text.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Mayen Shah