Re: 10g RAC and defined services performance problem

From: Yong Huang <>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:42:18 -0700 (PDT)

> Has anybody run into specific problems with
> performance when using a lot of services

I didn't measure. But I suppose if you have too many services, Oracle has to work harder to maintain all the service related performance views v$service% or the underlined tables, and service$. It reminds me of the old advice to not create too many tablespaces. But since all tablespaces are LMT now, the overhead is much smaller. (There's one thing common between ts$ and service$: "deleted" tablespaces/services stay in the table, although they can be reused if the same named tablespace/service is recreated.) Another concern is the limit of services, 100 as of according to Jeremy Schneider's paper.

We have more than 10 services in our database. We created a generic one that handles all small applications and dedicated ones each for each of the bigger apps.

Yong Huang