Applying CPU to RAC with physical standby

From: S. Anthony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 09:33:42 +0100

Hi,

Solaris 9, 10.1.0.5 Enterprise edition.

I have an open SR about this, no response for 24 hours. Scheduled patch application time is this weekend, downtime (recompile views) in a short window between regular batch scripts.

I have applied CPU Apr 2008 to a pre-production RAC system. Only downtime required was for the recompile views post installation step.

However, we have scheduled application of this CPU to the production system, which has a single instance, manually managed, physical standby.

Metalink Note 187242.1, states that all Oracle services should be shutdown on all nodes for the duration of the patch application.

It is going to be difficult convincing the users that their database will be offline for however long it takes.

Anyone got any ideas while I wait for Oracle Support to come back on this?

--
S. Anthony Sequeira

++
Now and then an innocent man is sent to the legislature.
++