Where To Use Additional Memory

From: <Patty.Charlebois_at_greenshield.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:03:14 -0500

Recently my manager stopped by my desk and asked why the additional 2 Gb=20=

of memory the Sysadmin added to the production server was not improving=20=
our OLTP transaction response time=2E  Ok course I had no idea that any=20=
additional memory had been added to the server so I am obviously not using=20=
it for the database=2E=2E=2E

We are new to Oracle 9=2E2 (9=2E2=2E0=2E5) and AIX 5L (5=2E2)=2E I have read all=
=20=

about the new 'advice' catalog views and memory management in 9i=2E=20=

I have a few questions:=20=

  1. How safe is it to turn on db_cache_advice during peak transaction=20= periods?
  2. How reliable/useful are the stats that I see out of the V$ advice=20= views?
  3. Does anyone have a tried and true method for determining the best place=20= to use additional physical free memory?

TIA=2E=2E=2E Patty

This e-mail is confidential, intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom it was addressed=2E If you have received it in error, please do not copy or distribute this e-mail=2E We ask that you notify us immediately by replying to the sender and then delete this e-mail=2E E-mail sent or received over the internet may not be secure=2E You should use caution when sending e-mail messages containing private and confidential information or consider other secure means to send the information=2E If you have any questions regarding the authenticity or security of e-mail you have received from Green Shield Canada please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-265-5615=2E

Please visit us at our website: http://www=2Egreenshield=2Eca

Ce message de courriel est confidentiel et s=92adresse uniquement
=E0 la personne ou =E0 l=92organisme indiqu=E9(e)=2E Si vous l=92avez re=E7u
par erreur, veuillez ne pas copier ni distribuer ce message de courriel=2E Nous vous demandons de nous aviser imm=E9diatement en r=E9pondant =E0 l=92exp=E9diteur, puis en supprimant ce message=2E Les messages envoy=E9s ou re=E7us par courriel pourraient ne pas =EAtre s=E9curis=E9s=2E Vous devriez =EAtre prudent lorsque vous envoyez des messages de courriel contenant des renseignements confidentiels et priv=E9s ou songer =E0 prendre d=92autres moyens s=E9curis=E9s pour

envoyer les renseignements=2E  Si vous avez des questions concernant
l=92authenticit=E9 ou la s=E9curit=E9 d=92un courriel que vous avez re=E7u de
Green Shield Canada, n=92h=E9sitez pas =E0 communiquer avec nous au
1-800-265-5615=2E

Visitez notre site Web: http://www=2Egreenshield=2Eca