Re: Change Server Name on NT Box (how to)

From: Bill Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 09:37:13 -0800

I would recommend DNS for if you replace the machine and use a different IP address then you again have to change everything. DNS should be stable.

At 07:25 AM 11/8/00 -0800, Michael Ray wrote:
>Gary,
>If you use local naming, you will need to change the tnsnames.ora file on
>all the clients. If you use Oracle Names, then you simply change it on the
>names server(s). These 2 options tell the client where it finds the
>listener to make the connection. Since the listener machines names will be
>different, they will not be able to find it anymore. The listener then
>decides where the instance is, which you've already noticed from the
>listener.ora file.
>
>One other thing you may wish to consider if your environment will allow it
>is to use the IP address rather than machine name. Then you wouldn't have
>had this problem. It is also slightly more efficient since it removes the
>DNS server from the equation. We normally use DHCP here but use static IPs
>on the servers.
>
>Michael Ray
>Oracle DBA
>TRW, Marshall, IL
>217-826-3011 x2438

>I recently installed an Oracle 8i database on an NT box previously
>used for another application. No problems, other than our network
>admin now wants me to change the name of the NT box.
>
>I did a quick check and noted that the current name of the NT
>machine is part of the listener control file. From an Oracle
>perspective, it appears that I have to modify the listener parameters
>to reflect the new machine name, but what other considerations (if
>any) are there to consider before implementing this change?

>Gary Norwell, Database Developer
>Hybrid Turkeys a Division of Nutreco Canada
>
>--
>--
>Author: Michael Ray
> INET: Michael.Ray_at_trw.com

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
Information Resources
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
(530) 754-6208

I like to pick up hitchhikers. When they get in the car I say, 'Put on your seat belt. I want to try something. I saw it once in a cartoon, but I think Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 11:37:13 CST