RE: future of Oracle Names server

From: Michael Ray <Michael.Ray_at_trw.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 10:09:05 -0800

IMHO (even though I'm a newbie) I would say Names will be around for some = time because you would have to maintain the tnsnames on all the clients = using CMAN if you were not using Names. With CMAN the service name in = tnsnames includes the address to the CMAN process AND the listener = address. Thus, I think the "plan" is to have CMAN for security and Names = for easy admin. Unless they are going to roll them into one app later.

My 2 cents.

Michael Ray
Oracle DBA
TRW, Marshall, IL
217-826-3011 x2438

>>> sdunehew_at_medicalmatrix.com 11/08/00 11:07AM >>>
What is the status of Oracle Name server? We hadn't used it because our 'high' powered Oracle consultant said it would be desupported soon. = However
some of the stuff on 9i looks like that is not the case.

HTH Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 12:09:05 CST